When information goes unchecked

May 21, 2008 at 11:33 pm | In Technology | Leave a Comment
Tags: , , ,

Recently, because of technology, we receive news about the disasters and unrest from different parts of the world at just a click. Putting aside all the pros and cons about using technology to our advantage [or disadvantages], I just want to highlight something which can be quite disturbing.

 

Last weekend, I was awed when I saw an sms which was supposed to be a poem by a famous poet Li Bai [Tang dynasty] and it actually predicted the Sichuan earthquake in the same year as the Beijing Olympics:

暮苍山兰舟
无落霞缀清
年叶落缘分
水微漾人却

but as much as I was amazed and impressed by how the great poet actually had the ability to predict the tragedy a few hundred years back, I wanted to find out the title of the poem.

 

And guess what? A quick search online revealed that there was NEVER this poem; never existed! In fact, there were previously two other versions which netizens had “cooked” up:

日暮苍山兰舟小,
本无落霞缀清泉。
去年叶落缘分定,
死水微漾人却亡。

and

法暮苍山兰舟家,
国无落霞缀清乐。
去年叶落缘分福,
死水微漾人却亡。

and from what I gathered online:

这诗是这样的,真正的来源是——侠客梦第四卷:江湖搏命第一百零一章日暮苍山兰舟小作者:燕随心。这里仅仅作为文章的题目所体现出来。剩下都是爱国人士所撰写的。

还有刘长卿《逢雪宿芙蓉山主人》较为接近。我想这是今人假托中华诗歌以至唐代诗歌的顶级巨星李白之名义而要表达一种民族的愤慨与爱国之情罢了。刘长卿《日暮苍山》原文是:
日暮苍山远,天寒白屋贫。
(写诗人投宿山村时的所见所感)
柴门闻犬吠,风雪夜归人。
(写诗人投宿主人家以后的情景)

Well sorry, I am just disgusted by the distortion of facts. The netizens are very creative, and I must say that they are concerned with current affairs. However, to mislead people with false information shouldn’t be encouraged. What’s more, this sms has been so widely circulated [it started from China and it's now circulating widely in Singapore too] that it makes people believe it’s real! And so I realize that 1) IF I wasn’t IT-inclined, I would probably have taken the sms as it is and believed it, without stumbling upon this fact by googling it; 2) IF I wasn’t IT-inclined, I would have never realized it was not a poem which held the prediction since hundreds years ago.

Okay fine, and IF technology wasn’t this advanced, I probably would have never received that sms nor rant here.. hahaa~ :p However, bottomline is: one should be responsible and NOT spread untrue information around isn’t it?

Slow Dance 。 慢舞

May 5, 2008 at 2:20 am | In Life | Leave a Comment
Tags: , ,

I was blogging on my personal blog and it so happened that one of the authors for another blog shared this poem regarding an accident of last yr… Just wanna share with those of you out there.. In our rush in life, what are we missing?

 A poem is written by a 13 year old teenager with cancer at a New York Hospital:

SLOW DANCE
慢舞

Have you ever watched kids
你是否曾关注过孩子们
On a merry-go-round?
在旋转木马上玩耍?
Or listened to the rain
或聆听着雨点
Slapping on the ground?
敲落在大地上?

Ever followed a butterfly’s
你是否跟着一只蝴蝶
erratic flight?
漫无目标的飞旅过?
Or gazed at the sun into the
或凝视着太阳直到她
fading night?
消失在夜幕之中?
You better slow down.
你最好放慢一点。
Don’t dance so fast.
别跳得太快。
Time is short.
时光短暂。
The music won’t last.
这美妙的乐曲不会无休止的奏下去。

Do you run through each day
你是否如同奔命一般
On the fly?
过着每一天?
When you ask How are you?
当你在问:你好吗?
Do you hear the reply?
你是否听到了对方的回答?

When the day is done,
当一天结束,
Do you lie in your bed
你躺在你的床上
With the next hundred chores
是否被下一百个琐碎的杂事
Running through your head?
在你的脑海里给折腾得翻江倒海?
You’d better slow down
你最好放慢一点
Don’t dance so fast.
别跳得太快。
Time is short.
时光短暂。
The music won’t last.
这美妙的乐曲不会无休止的奏下去。

Ever told your child,
你是否曾告诉过你的孩子,
We’ll do it tomorrow?
有什么事我们明天再做?
And in your haste,
在你这匆忙的敷衍中,
Not see his
hersorrow?
却忽视了她(他)的悲哀?
Ever lost touch,
你是否因失去了联系,
Let a good friendship die
而让一个真正的友谊而死去
Cause you never had time
因为你没有时间
To call and say,”Hi

打个电话或问声你好!
You’d better slow down.
你最好放慢一点。
Don’t dance so fast.
别跳得太快。
Time is short.
时光太短。
The music won’t last.
这美妙的乐曲不会无休止地奏下去。

When you run so fast to
当你匆忙地赶向
get somewhere
你的目距地
You miss half the fun
你失去的将是人生旅程中
of getting there.
一半真正的快乐。

When you worry and hurry
当你带着繁忙的懊恼
through your day,
结束你的每一天,
It is like an unopened gift…
这就像把一件还没有打开的珍贵礼物
Thrown away.
丢弃。
Life is not a race.
生活不是竞赛。
Do take it slower
请放慢一点
Hear the music
聆听这美妙的音乐
Before the song is over……
在这歌声结束前不要中断……

Blog at WordPress.com. | Theme: Pool by Borja Fernandez.
Entries and comments feeds.